BACK

The aqueduct of Eupalinos at Samos

.1000 bc

 

 

ca. 560 BC: The aqueduct begins being built.
Approximately 15 years after the completion, the clay pipes in the
tunnel were cut away at the top to ease the cleaning operation of
the pipeline.

.500 bc

ca. 460 BC: Herodotus refers to Eupalinos’ tunnel when visiting
Samos.

During Roman times repairs are made employing stone walls
with plaster and barrel-vaulted roof. 
.0  
.500 ad

 

7th c. AD: The tunnel caters for a refuge, possibly during the
Arab raids. The pipeline ceases to function due to silting and
the structure is since abandoned.

.1000 ad  
.1500 ad

1853: French archaeologist V. Guérin locates and excavates
part of the subterranean conduit, but fails to locate the tunnel.
This is discovered some years later by a local monk.

1882: The first attempts to clean and restore to working order
the water channel are abandoned. A small building is erected
on the southern entrance of the tunnel.

1883: Archaeologist E. Fabricius of DAI, surveys the tunnel,
publishes his work and renders the aqueduct known to the
academic community and the public.

1884: Greek archaeologist E. Stamatiadis, publishes an article
«Περί του εν Σάμω ορύγματος του Ευπαλίνου», commenting
on the discovery.

1971-1973: DAI Director, U. Jantzen, excavates and researches
the tunnel.

Late 1970’s: H. Kienast undertakes the project of documentation
and publication of the aqueduct, concluded 20 years later.

1980’s: The site opens to the public.

1992: The site is designated as World Heritage Site.

.2000 ad 2011: A study to render the site visitable from one end to
another passes the Central Archaeological Council control,
and awaits for its implementation.