BACK

The St. Maroun spring in Ghouma, Lebanon

.0  
.500 ad
685 AD
Bishop John Maroun was appointed Patriarch. He built an arched stone cellar over the spring and used that area as a hermitage for prayer and meditation. The spring was later named after him.
Over the next centuries the region was inhabited and the spring was used for drinking and for irrigation and all the house hold use.
.1000 ad
1299 AD
Warriors fighting the Mamlouks stayed in the valley of Harba and used the spring as the source of drinking water. The inhabitants were displaced from their villages to al Aakoura and al Mnaytra and Tannourine.
.1500 ad
1550 AD
The original inhabitants who were displaced began returning back to villages close to their home villages...
 
1700 AD 
Most of the inhabitants bought back their lands.
 
1945 AD
A Lebanese immigrant from Ghoum came back from the USA with the idea of pumping water from the spring for the villagers. This project was not realised. 
 
1965 AD 
The village of Ghouma was provided with a water network system so the inhabitants were relieved from the burden of going down to the spring daily.
 
.2000 ad

Today the water of the spring is used only by shepherds, hunters and a few visitors.