Tracking Ilissos river in Athens

1000 bc

6th -4th c. BC: Ilissos is considered a landmark for the city of Athens
and various activities are organised by its banks, ranging from
official civic and religious practices to customary walks, as
recorded also by Plato. 


6th c. BC: The temple of Olympian Zeus, the most prominent of the
‘parilissian sanctuaries’ is founded (to be concluded 700 years later
in the Roman era).

.500 bc  


2nd c. AD: The benefactor of the city Hadrian offers important public
infrastructure buildings and edifices, extending the city eastwards
of the river. Athenians offer the ‘Gate of Hadrian’, a monumental
entrance to this new part of the city.



.500 ad


5th c. AD: A vivid early Christian settlement is formed by Ilissos
banks (today METS area). 

.1000 ad  
.1500 ad



19th c. Impressive buildings designed by known architects
are built on the boulevard on the right bank of the river.

1890s: The Panathenaic stadium is refurbished to host the 1st  
modern Olympic Games. After a flood the gradual covering of the river begins.

1900-1950: The need for more urban space leads to the burying
of the remaining open parts of the river. Part of it is being diverted
to Faliro gulf to prevent floods (Marshall Plan).

.2000 ad Today : Several proposals aspire to raise awareness on Ilissos,
the ‘lost river’, proposing its sustainable re-introduction in the
Athenian landscape.